Dickens 2012 Creative Writing Competition
[Deadline Extended to 21 Jan]
By: British Council & The Arts House
Date: Now – 21 Jan 2012
To mark the 2012 bicentennial anniversary of one of Britain’s most beloved writers, Writing the City invites you to step into the imaginative world of Charles Dickens and write a present-day character sketch, taking inspiration from one of Dickens’ characters.
Then, paint the world for your chosen character using inspiration from the city around you. Immerse your character in the streets you live on, take threads from your characters’ personality and weave it into a different culture.
So, will it be the crafty Artful Dodger who’s living life on the run? Or our very own favourite Mud-frog Ollie Twist, all grown up? Has Miss Havisham finally found use for that old wedding frock and cake? Has the newly-turned Ebenezer Scrooge run out of mint?
Write in any genre you like (poetry, prose, script) as long as you develop this theme.
Our judges will be looking out for pieces that take inspiration from Dickens work and the maintain authenticity of his characters in a different time and place.
At the end of your piece, don’t forget to include the character that inspired you. Winners of the Dickens 2012 Writing the City Competition will be announced at the Dickens 2012 launch event, have their work featured at the Arts House, and on www.britishcouncil.org/dickens2012/, and also receive the following prizes:
- First prize (For All Languages): $200 Kinokuniya book voucher
- 2 runners up (English only) will receive a special stationary set from Books Actually
Please make sure that you pay close attention to following all the rules and instructions below when entering the Competition:
- Prose/script entries must be no longer than 750 words
- Poetry entries must be no longer than 30 lines
- There is no minimum word limit
- All entries must follow our Posting Guidelines, except regarding length
- Please see additional requirements below for entries in Malay, Mandarin & Tamil
- The deadline for entries is 15 January 2012
* An English translation of your work must be provided to enter Dickens 2012 Competition. Entries in Malay, Mandarin & Tamil are to be uploaded in PDF format. Please read the instructions below carefully.
- Sign up/in at http://civiclife.sg/writingthecity/wp-login.php
- Click on WRITE
- Enter your text.
For entries in Malay, Mandarin & Tamil:
- Enter the English translation of your work in text.
- Then, upload a PDF of your work written in its original language (Malay, Mandarin, or Tamil).
- To upload PDF, click Upload/Insert “Media” (Star icon)
For all entries: Upload your audio recording in your works’ original language (instructions below)
- Tick Dickens 2012 in the categories on the right hand side
- Click Publish
- Click View Post to see your entry
- Click READ to read other people’s entries
- For help, click here (link to WRITE)
30 Nov: Competition uploaded on site
14 Dec: Competition announced in newsletter and eDM
15 Jan: Competition Deadline
29 Jan: Deadline for judging
5 Feb: Deadline for winning entries to be prepared for display for launch
7 Feb: Winners up on WTC (Featured Posts) in time for newsletter